Re: copy protected audio cds with linux ?

Karsten M. Self wrote:
> There's also a question of whether or not such products qualify for the
> "Compact Disk" lable under the Phillips standard.  Phillips itself
> (inventer of the CD) has objected to DeCSS under similar grounds.

Well I bought a CD today, which is from one of Sony's labels, and
interestingly there is no occurrance of "CD", "compact disk", or the CD
logo anywhere on the case[1]. Sony is also rumored to be rolling out
copy protection on a large scale, and they have that particular base
covered already, it seems.

I was half-way expecting the thing to be unreadable, which would have
let me perform the amusing feat of calling up sony's computer tech
support and ask them why my sony CD player hooked up to my sony
laptop[2] refused to read a sony CD, and should I return the laptop, the
CD player, or the CD for a refund. But actually it's ripping happily
now.

Anyway, once it _is_ the 80's all over again, and copying protection of
varying degrees of effectiveness is making life more interesting for the
people who get off on breaking it, I just don't plan to buy any more
CD's. Just as I don't use DVD's because of the evilness of that
standard. No great loss to me. YMMV..

--
see shy jo

[1] It does appear once in the liner notes.
[2] Which I just bought this week. Evil send-Sony-large-amounts-of-money
    week, this.