Re: Help -- Scanner problem with MAKEDEV

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Cam Ellison wrote:

> usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x4b8/0x110) is not claimed by any active driver.
> <snip>
> usb.c: kusbd: /sbin/hotplug add 2
> usb.c: kusbd policy returned 0xfffffffe
>
> > now you will have arrived at the problem i have, which is visible in the
> > last line of the above.  it was working perfectly just before a recent
> > upgrade of the kernel (a minor 2.4.xx) and then it stopped..
> >
> There seems to be some similarity, in that both are reporting a device not claimed.  Mine is plugged into port 1 (I assume).  I have some modules that are not inserted, in anticipation of a new mouse (though with what the scanner cost, my wife would have a fit if i spent any more for a while).
>
> > xsane (which was working perfectly) will report that it can't find any
> > devices.
> >
> I haven't tried xsane yet, just sane (scanimage).
>
> > one of the reasons i came to debian was to get more control over my
> > software as illustrated above.  not there yet.

now we both have the same problem.  i believe we need to submit a bug to
the author of scanner.o...  however, i am not famailiar with the process

in the next few days, i will move the scanner over to the woody machine
and see if the problem is still there.  right now, i am embroiled with
gnome/ximian problems

btw: you also need to edit /etc/sane.d/epson.  comment out the scsi and
uncomment the usb lines.

later

dave

 --
Dave Mallery, K5EN  (r/h 7.2 krud; debian woody+ximian)
PO Box 520

no gates                     .~.
  no windows...              /V\
                            /( )\
running GNU/Linux           ^^-^^  (Linux TM Linus Torvalds)
  free at last!