Reading .pdf.gz files

Hi,

I just noticed that all pdf documentation for the tex packages in
compressed using gzip. Although I found out how to read these (use gv,
in stead of xpdf), I'm wondering why these files are compressed. They
don't seem to get much smaller that way, and gv seems to be slower in
displaying at least part of them (e.g., the cover page of
/usr/share/doc/texmf/context/base/mreadme.pdf.gz) than xpdf.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz4 #1 Fri Mar 15 23:30:15 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Matijs