Re: login via serial console

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 09:13:04PM -0600, Ramesh Panuganty wrote:

| Edit /etc/inittab to add the line, (if you use COM2 to connect, change ttyS0
| to ttyS1)
|     s0:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS0 DT9600
|
| Then issue: "kill -HUP 1"
|
| If you also need to see the boot-up messages, you need to change
| /etc/lilo.conf to pass the options for console.
|
| -Ramesh
| http://panuganty.tripod.com/debiantips/
|
| > i have two woody boxes at home. each of them can connect to a router via
| serial cable at 9600 baud (8N1). i thought that by running the serial cable
| from one to the other i would be greeted by a login screen, but i wasn't. i
| haven't set up any thing out-of-the-ordinary to allow login on the serial
| port, i just thought it would work. any thoughts on what i need to do?

hello,

thanks! that's what i wanted. sorry i wan't too clear. i'm having
trouble with a nic in that box, and only have one nic in this pc (the
one one the 'net (smtp)), and i wanted to be able to access that other
pc (with the bad nic) without hooking up monitor/keyboard/mouse.
i just looked in my /etc/inittab, and found:

#T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
#T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100

so, that's pretty cool... i just didn't know where to look. i have a few
more questions:

1. must i use 9600 baud or can i just go higher?
2. the id field - you've said s) and the example says T0, should that
matter?

that's about it. too bad i have to wait until later to try it!

thanks!
jason

| http://theigloo.dhs.org:81  | http://counter.li.org/        |
| Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 Woody  | 2.4.16-k6                     |
| jason@theigloo.dhs.org      | registered linux user #202942 |