Re: UNSUBSCRIBE

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 03:07:45PM -0500, Jonathan Tabaco wrote:
> > Sorry to all those who are inconvenienced by this but I have tried
> > multiple times to get removed from the mailing list.
> >
> > I even sent in the confirm "CONFIRM u03180819391769"
> >
> > PLEASE REMOVE ME MANUALLY, as your automated system doesn't work.
> >
> > I will unfortunately have to resort to "spamming" the Debian-user
> > mailing list until I am off the list, as all the e-mails I am STILL
> > receiving are now spam to me.
>
> When you followed the above instructions, did it not give you a URL to
> visit in order to confirm your removal from the list? Also, have you
> tried contacting the admin address listed above
> <listmaster@lists.debian.org> to get some help? Spamming the list will
> doubtless not resolve your problem.

Spamming the list will not solve the problem, but you can't expect
someone to understand that when a simple list-unsubscription is beyond
them.

The unsubscribe process is simple and works; I did it just the other day
in the course of moving all my Debian subscriptions (six different
lists) to a different account. You send the initial unsubscribe request,
it replies asking for confirmation, you send the confirmation, it
replies that you're now unsubscribed. It's all email-based (no URL to
visit), and you would think even a fairly unsophisticated computer user
would be able to get it right. If Mr. Tabaco can't do it, that says more
about him than about the list server. It also doesn't speak very well of
him that, on having difficulty with the unsubscription, he couldn't
figure out who to address his complaint to.

If he's determined to be an obnoxious dolt, you can always do as I have
done, and just filter out his messages. Here is a procmail recipe that
should do the trick:

:0
* ^From:.*tabacofamily
/dev/null

Another option would be to figure out who's supplying this idiot with a
network connection, and complain to them, since he's abusing the list.

Craig