Re: Are these machines up to it?

On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 08:39, Keith O'Connell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the comming months I am starting a "teach-your-self" program. I
> am learning more of linux than just a desktop. I have a small lan at home
> for my wife, daughters and myself. The three of them use WinXP, and I
> have a desktop of myown running stable and a file server for all of
> us, also running stable.
>
> I now have come by two old machines that I want to employ, but before
> I throw mt self at it, I want to know if they are up to the task, and
> also if they are, will they likley remain suitable for the tasks as
> new versions of software are released
>
> 1: I have a 133MHz pentium, 1Gb disk and 32Mb ram. I want to use this
>    as a firewall.

Totally "yes".  A 486DX2/66 with 16MB RAM is up to the task...  With
a 1GB disk, you will just have to be judicious about which packages
you install.

> 2: Also an 400MHz AMD K6-2, 6Gb disk and 80Mb ram. This is to be a
>    name server and an email server

Again, absolutely "yes".  DNS isn't stressful.  Mail servers are
only stressful when you are sending lots of email.

> Neither of them will have X on them, so what I need to know is;
>         a: they are not up to the tasks
>         b: they are just up to the tasks
>         c: they are easily up to the tasks
>
> If the answer is a: or b:, what could be done to improve the
> situation. Asking a lot in a single message, but I dont want to start
> then find that they just won't do the job(s)

Don't forget: telnet is _evil_.  Use OpenSSH (package name: ssh).

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "(Women are) like compilers.  They take simple statements  |
|  and make them into big productions."                      |
|     Pitr Dubovitch                                         |