Re: Are these machines up to it?

Keith O'Connell <keith_oconnell@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> I now have come by two old machines that I want to employ, but
> before I throw mt self at it, I want to know if they are up to the
> task, and also if they are, will they likley remain suitable for the
> tasks as new versions of software are released
>
> 1: I have a 133MHz pentium, 1Gb disk and 32Mb ram. I want to use
>    this as a firewall.
>
> 2: Also an 400MHz AMD K6-2, 6Gb disk and 80Mb ram. This is to be a
>    name server and an email server
>
> Neither of them will have X on them, so what I need to know is;
>         a: they are not up to the tasks
>         b: they are just up to the tasks
>         c: they are easily up to the tasks

(c), they are easily up to the tasks.  I suspect you're not going to
deal with a huge amount of traffic, so the first machine would
actually be more than sufficient for all of these tasks,
hardware-wise.  (Whether you can accomplish your firewalling goals is
a separate question, and you very well may want a separate machine
rather than trying to convince bind to only talk to one interface.)

(At home, I have a Pentium/100 running potato as a firewall.  Deals
just fine.)

	-- Abra Mitchell