Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card

Userhelpers,

  I am about to assemble a new PC with an ASUS P4T-E motherboard and a
Maxtor 7200RPM 80GB ATA hard drive that came with a "free" Maxtor Ultra
ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card (in addition to other, irrelevant goodies that
I won't mention, as I don't want anyone to salivate), and I would like
to put Woody on it.  The Maxtor adapter installation guide says the card
should be installed before the drive and that some relatively new Dark
Side OS is necessary.

   I have searched around without finding much relevant, although there
are some cautionary comments about Promise adapters.

  Do you think this can be made to work?  What drivers and kernel
modules would I need?  Is the order of installation likely relevant for
Debian?  Will the adapter really help?  By the way, I have used Debian
before, have always had a hard time getting things right, and think the
installation support is getting a lot better.

Leonard