Re: Are these machines up to it?

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 02:39:21PM +0000, Keith O'Connell wrote:
> 1: I have a 133MHz pentium, 1Gb disk and 32Mb ram. I want to use this
>    as a firewall.

We have a similar box as a firewall (doing NAT), and there are 10 others
behind it. No problem with it.

It can easily do the task (really!)

> 2: Also an 400MHz AMD K6-2, 6Gb disk and 80Mb ram. This is to be a
>    name server and an email server

I'd say it can handle it, except if you have a *very* high quantity of
e-mail (not the amount you'd get at home).

> Neither of them will have X on them, so what I need to know is;
>         a: they are not up to the tasks
>         b: they are just up to the tasks
>         c: they are easily up to the tasks
>
> If the answer is a: or b:, what could be done to improve the
> situation.

IMHO, those are OK, and you shouldn't need anything else.

J.