Re: Compacting evolution mail folders

Mike,

I have this problem also.

I found that Evolution does not compact the files it uses for storage.

I resorted to deleting some of the files and allowing Evolution to
re-create them.

I have attached a script that does this...

Randy

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 23:33, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> I am using Evolution 1.0.2 on a PowerPC Macintosh running sid.
>
> I subscribe to a lot of mailing lists, and have my mail sorted into a
> couple dozen mail folders.  I'm using real folders here, not the virtual
> ones.
>
> Periodically, I delete all the mail from most of the mailing list
> folders (because I can read it from the archive websites).  But
> evolutions disk space usage doesn't always get smaller, or not much so.
>
> For example, I have one mail folder that has no messages at all in it,
> because I've deleted them all, yet the subdirectory for that mailbox has
> over 22 megabytes of files in it!  Most of the space is in a file called
> "mbox.ibex".
>
> Is there some way I can compact these mailboxes to free unused space?
>
> I'm using a small drive on this machine and need to be conservative
> about my file usage, but the total space consumed by evolution, even
> with the majority of my mail folders just emptied, is about a quarter of
> a gigabyte!
>
> (I am getting a bigger drive soon... but still...)
>
> Mike
> --
> Michael D. Crawford
> GoingWare Inc. - Expert Software Development and Consulting
> crawford@goingware.com
> http://www.goingware.com/
>
>      Tilting at Windmills for a Better Tomorrow.
>

> --

#!/usr/bin/perl

#
# NB: Need to check to see if evolution is running, if it is
# then we should not run this script
#

print "Looking for mbox.ibex files...\n";

@core = `find . -type f -name mbox.ibex 2>/dev/null`;

chop (@core);

$num = @core;

if (@core)
  {
  if ( $num == 1 )
    {
    print "Found $num mbox.ibex file...removing...\n";
    }
  else
    {
    print "Found $num mbox.ibex files...removing...\n";
    }

  foreach $file (@core)
    {
    # if we have write (-w) permission, we can delete it
    if (-w $file)
      {
      system( "rm", "-rf",  $file );
      print Deleted $file.\n;
      }
    else
      {
      print "You do not have permission to delete $file!\n";
      }
    }
  }
else
  {
  print "No mbox.ibex files found!\n";
  }

print "Looking for mbox.ev-summary...\n";

@core = `find . -type f -name mbox.ev-summary 2>/dev/null`;

chop (@core);

$num = @core;

if (@core)
  {
  if ( $num == 1 )
    {
    print "Found $num mbox.ev-summary file...removing...\n";
    }
  else
    {
    print "Found $num mbox.ev-summary files...removing...\n";
    }

  foreach $file (@core)
    {
    # if we have write (-w) permission, we can delete it
    if (-w $file)
      {
      system( "rm", "-rf",  $file );
      print Deleted $file.\n;
      }
    else
      {
      print "You do not have permission to delete $file!\n";
      }
    }
  }
else
  {
  print "No mbox.ev-summary files found!\n";
  }

exit(0);