Re: Sound works, but not for Gnome

----- Original Message -----
From: "stan" <stanb@awod.com>
To: "Debian User List" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: Sound works, but not for Gnome

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:28:25PM -0000, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
>
> Yes, if I run esd as root before loging in as a normal user with gdm,
sound
> works.
>
> But surely this is not the "debian" way?

Methinks esd needs to be suid root as this is what I had to do. There
might however, be another solution that I dont know about.

If you make esd setuid root - sound will work fine next time you log
into gnome.

chown root /usr/bin/esd (I dont have it installed so this is a guess of
the path)

chmod +u /usr/bin/esd (from memory - man chmod)

I suppose you could also try an strace on esd to see what it doesn't
have permissions for when run as a regular user. I think it has
something to do with creating unix sockets. I dont know much about
strace so cant help you much there either.

HTH, YMMV,

Regards,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            23 McDonald Road        Tel: (0131) 558 9990
Email: shri@urbyte.com     Edinburgh EH7 4LX       Web: www.urbyte.com