Installation of JDK

Greetings All,

having major troubles installing JDK on Debian - any suggestions would be
appreciated.

The error message I get is

"Error: failed /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so, because
libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory"

I used alien to concert the jdk1.4 file to deb and then used the depackage
function so all should be well - let me know if you need more information.
I also apt-get installed libstdc and libc6 and that didn't help.

Thanx heaps,
Gareth