Re: cdrw

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, jeff wrote:

> hello folks...
>
> i'm trying to get my cdwriter to be recognized under
> debian...
>
> seems like i can mount the /cdrom no prob...
>
> any pointers on how to create a device for the writer? it
> seems to detect it ok at boot but i can't mount the
> sucker...

the test is cdparanoia -Qsv for a thorough scan.

i am stuck in the middle of the same problem right now
mine is a scsi r/w drive and the setup in /dev is
/dev/cdrom -> /dev/sr0 -> /dev/scd0.

on an adjacent r/h machine, the working setup is:
/dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0 and cdparanoia announces that the generic device
is /dev/sg1 which is nowhere in the chain!

cdparanoia needs the generic device apparantly.

all help/pointers appreciated!

dave

--
Dave Mallery, K5EN  (r/h 7.2 krud; debian woody+ximian)
PO Box 520

no gates                     .~.
  no windows...              /V\
                            /( )\
running GNU/Linux           ^^-^^  (Linux TM Linus Torvalds)
  free at last!