Re: cdda2wav or cdparanoia ?

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Gerard Robin wrote:

> cdda2wav and cdparanoia both run fine to extract the tracks of a
> CD-audio what is the advantage to use one rather than another ? TIA
> for an advice.

I can't think of a reason why you *wouldn't* want to use cdparanoia.  I
have even been able to extract good (not perfect but good) audio from CD's
that my regular CD-player wouldn't play.

The last time I used cdda2wav, which was admittedly a few years ago, it
worked great with certain models of CD-ROM drive that behaved well for
purposes of audio extraction, but for many other models (including mine)
it was not very accurate.  Cdparanoia works well on almost anything.

Cdparanoia suggests using the SCSI-over-IDE functionality in the kernel to
improve its performance, but I find that it works quite well with the
plain IDE driver even in the 2.2 kernel.