Re: Desperately trying to understand dselect (seeming inconsistency)

begin  Karsten M. Self  quotation:

> Otherwise, aptitude's interface is a vast, vast improvement over
> dselect.  I still occasionally drop into dselect, but do most of my
> package selection from the command line with 'apt-get install foo'.

I tend to use dselect for most things. For my daily Sid update, I like
the way dselect sorts all the new and updated packages to the top so I
can easily look over them before telling it to go ahead, and I like
being able to interactively work out any dependency problems before
letting it invoke apt.

dselect's UI is kind of odd, and the "recommends means depends" bug is
occasionally annoying, but overall I find it preferable to aptitude,
stormpkg, or any of the other things that are supposed to be newer and
better.

Craig