Woody Kernel 2.4.16-586 : modprobe: modprobe: cannot create /var/log/ksymoops/20020321.log Read-Only file system

Hi
	When ever I start my machines I get the following message
appearing on the screen over and over again.

       modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-1
       modprobe: modprobe: cannot create /var/log/ksymoops/20020321.log
Read-Only file system

The only way to boot the machine is to use a boot disk that was created
when Debian was installed. I know have two machines that are doing this.
Both are running Woody one has the 2.4.16-586 kernel and the other the
2.4.18-k7 kernel. I have had these kernels on these machines for a while
and they were working before, the problem seems to have just started all
of a sudden, it may have been caused by a package upgrade using 'apt-get
upgrade'. I updated one of the machines to the 2.4.18 to try and fix the
problem. Does anybody know why it is doing this? And how can I fix it?

Thankyou

Charlie

---