Help with firing up modules on demand

I think I have read all the relevant docs regarding setting up my system
to auto load modules but I am still somewhat unsure.

I put the name of the module in /etc/modules if I want it fired up on
boot.  This is not really what I want!  I want the modules to start up
when they are required (like my sound card modules for example.)

I think that I have to make a new file in /etc/moduitls with lines in it
the same format as is detailed in the man page for modules.conf.

Your advice is appreciated.

MTY