Windows/Linux network

I would like to ask people what they think is the best solution for networking a windows/linux network.

Keeping in mind that the ultimate goal is to develop a linux only network (but that that will not be accomplished anytime soon), I see 2 options.

1. Install samba client on all linux user computers and have them interact with the Windows network as if a Windows OS.

2. Install samba server on a single linux server. Map those Windows drives that need to be shared out to Linux users to the linux server and then remap them to each linux user. Actually, I don't even know if that is possible.

Although the first option might be the easiest, keeping in mind that eventually there would be no windows computers, it would seem more sensible to maintain and support just NFS among the Linux users.

Well, maybe I'm totally off here.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Curtis