Re: Windows/Linux network

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 13:30, curtis wrote:
> I would like to ask people what they think is the best solution for
> networking a windows/linux network.
>
> Keeping in mind that the ultimate goal is to develop a linux only
> network (but that that will not be accomplished anytime soon), I see 2
> options.
>
> 1. Install samba client on all linux user computers and have them
> interact with the Windows network as if a Windows OS.
>
> 2. Install samba server on a single linux server.  Map those Windows
> drives that need to be shared out to Linux users to the linux server and
> then remap them to each linux user.  Actually, I don't even know if that
> is possible.
>
> Although the first option might be the easiest, keeping in mind that
> eventually there would be no windows computers, it would seem more
> sensible to maintain and support just NFS among the Linux users.

What do you want things to look like when the office has migrated
totally to Linux?  A P2P network, or most data served from, well,
a central server?  Seems to me that that should indicate whether
you choose options 1 or 2.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "(Women are) like compilers.  They take simple statements  |
|  and make them into big productions."                      |
|     Pitr Dubovitch                                         |