Re: Losing time !

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 04:05:55PM -0600, Greg Murphy wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My computer for some reason seems to be losing time at a rate of about 20
> minutes per 10-15 hours. I was under the impression that linux keeps track of
> the time from clock cycles. I have not rebooted my machine in a week, so if
> that previous assumption is correct, then that would rule out the cmos
> battery. What could cause this loss of time. The only thing that has been
> slightly different that I can think that might could cause it is that lately
> I have been constantly running some intensive tasks reniced to +19. Could
> something like that cause this problem, or is my problem elsewhere? Any
> ideas? Thanks.

Like all the other repliee's (is that a word?) so far, I can't say I
have much idea what's going wrong.  The kernel is supposed to keep
track of the clock by itself, effectively by counting CPU clock
cycles.  The only thing that I can think of is that I once read about
when you have the kernel getting interrupted a lot, the clock doesn't
get updated regularily enough, so the kernel loses time.  Have you
looked into this?  Try running procinfo -n1, and having a look at the irq
listings; maybe one of them will be rising rapidly, indictaing a lot
of interrupts.
Anyhow, it's a though

-rob

--
I did not vote for the Australian government.