Re: Installing Debian

On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 21:00, John Lynch wrote:
> Hello everyone

--big snip--

> I would appreciate it a lot if someone was able to give me easy to
> understand instructions. or a website with easier instructions if no-one can
> be bothered.

If you go to www.debian.org and look around for a while, you'll see all
the stuff there that you need for installation. If you have a CD burner
I'd suggest just downloading some CD images and installing from those.
There's also extensive help documentation available on the site for the
install process.

Now, for my personal recommendation: If you have access to another
computer, or an old computer that no one really cares much about (say a
P133 or so) try installing Debian on there. That way, if you screw
something up it really doesn't matter. Then once you're comfortable, go
ahead with your primary machine.

Now I will warn you. If/when you decide to install Debian on your
primary system, be careful when you partition your hard disk as you can
VERY easily lose data. Your best bet would be to get a copy of Partition
Magic for windows and use that.

Also, I'm assuming that your current XP partition is NTFS. If it is, you
will only be able to READ from it, you will not be able to actually
write any data to it. If you want to be able to read and write, you will
need to convert that partition to FAT32.

Once you get Debian up and running, then we can worry about your other
questions. Yes, all of them can be done. (Well, I'm not 100% sure about
running Debian on a system without having it installed locally, but I
THINK you could do some sort of a network boot setup.) The best way to
learn how to do it, is to try it. If it doesn't work, try it again...
and again... and again... and again. :) It's a lot of work, but in the
long run, you'll end up learning a LOT more.

Good luck. :)

-Alex