Re: Trouble after installing

Ronald Castillo wrote:

> While choosing the modules, I accidently installed one for the S3 Virge
> video card, when I really have a S3 Trio 64V + card.  Does this affect
> me much?  It seems like it does with XFree because it won't run..

You don't state which version of X you are using but given that you are
talking modules as opposed to xservers I'm guessing its X4. If you want to
change your config without hacking by hand do:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

> Also, when I try to run XFree, I get an error saying "fatal error: no
> screens found".  Any clue on how can I fix this?  Another thing is that,
> while configuring XFree for the first time, it lets me cose between kdm,
> gdm and xdm.  Which one do you recommend me?

I recommend that until you get X running you don't install a display manager
at all and use startx. Makes life easier. Which display manager you install
after that, if at all, is largely a matter of personal preference.

> And..  Another question..  Is there any way I can shut down temporarily
> my LAN connection and later turn it back on again?  I read about using
> Ifconfig, but it seems like it is o longer available for download..

man ifupdown

--
Simon Hepburn.