Re: Trouble after installing

> While choosing the modules, I accidently installed one for the S3
> Virge
> video card, when I really have a S3 Trio 64V + card.  Does this affect
> me much?  It seems like it does with XFree because it won't run..

You can always change your xf86 configuration
to use the other card, not a problem.

> Also, when I try to run XFree, I get an error saying "fatal error: no
> screens found".  Any clue on how can I fix this?

I had the same problem. I *think* this is how
i solved it:

as root, run xf86config
answer all of the questions
when complete, i think you will find a file
 in your /root directory called XF86Config.

go to your /etc/X11/ directory and rename your
current XF86Config-4 file:

mv XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.SAVE

Then, move and rename the /root/XF86Config file
to /etc/X11/ like so:

mv /root/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

I am pretty sure that is how i did it.

> Another thing is
> that,
> while configuring XFree for the first time, it lets me cose between
> kdm,
> gdm and xdm.  Which one do you recommend me?

Will you want to run Gnome or KDE? I would use
gdm and like it, i try to stay away from KDE. But
if you want to run KDE, i recommend you use kdm
of course.

You can change the default display manager editing:

/etc/X11/default-display-manager

There is also a tool to do this graphically:

dpkg-reconfigure gdm

> And..  Another question..  Is there any way I can shut down
> temporarily
> my LAN connection and later turn it back on again?  I read about using
> Ifconfig, but it seems like it is o longer available for download..

Pull the plug, plug it back in :-)

(==timothy==)