Re: Need dpkg expert

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
I'm down to looking at a rebuild, which I am really, really loathe to do, since that's the solution in the Microsoft world and isn't supposed to be the solution for Linux, but unless one of you gurus can help me fix this, it's the only solution I have left.

cd /var/lib/dpkg/info.  Edit the 7 scripts in question and put a 'exit 0' at
the top of each one.  dpkg --purge each of them.  Then reinstall them.  Should
settle the issue.

This did allow me to purge the offending packages. However, it has not solved the problem. If I try to install xdm now ("apt-get install xdm"), it again fails. So I added the "set -x" line to xdm.preinst and xdm.postinst, and did "apt-get --reinstall install xdm" (after the aforementioned "apt-get install xdm" failed), and got:

fafsa-02[westk]:/var/lib/dpkg/info> sudo apt-get --reinstall install xdm
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 131 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up xdm (4.1.0-14) ...
+ THIS_PACKAGE=xdm
+ THIS_SCRIPT=postinst
+ trap 'message; message "Received signal. Aborting xdm package postinst script."; message; exit 1' 1 2 3 15
+ command -v readlink
+ . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
++ exec /usr/share/debconf/frontend /var/lib/dpkg/info/xdm.postinst configure ''
dpkg: error processing xdm (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
 xdm