Re: USB Mouse potato

Twas brillig, and Matthew Linden scrobe:
> X fails because I cannot configure the mouse. A USB wheel
> mouse. Unfortunately my machine has four USB ports, no PS/2 or serial
> ports, so using a different mouse type is out of the question.
>
> Debian version is potato. I would like to avoid having to download woody
> if possible.

I recently went through the exercise of getting a Logitech USB wheel
mouse running on my potato system (running kernel 2.2.19).  I was a bit
nervous, having never messed with USB under linux, but it ended up being
really easy.

I found the USB Guide at http://www.linux-usb.org/ to be an invaluable
tool.  Most of what you'll need is in the Basic USB and HID Configuration
sections:

	http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/c122.html
	http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html

It really just boils down to compiling the correct kernel modules, making
sure the appropriate device file exists under /dev, and updating your
XF86Config file.

I don't have my notes or my debian system available at the moment, but
if you run into specific problems, feel free to drop me a line and I'll
try to help.

--
Wesley Hart
		"Mayor McCheese is the stuff nightmares are made of.