Re: USB Mouse potato

    "Matthew" == Matthew Linden <linden@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> writes:

    Matthew> X fails because I cannot configure the mouse. A USB wheel
    Matthew> mouse. Unfortunately my machine has four USB ports, no
    Matthew> PS/2 or serial ports, so using a different mouse type is
    Matthew> out of the question.

    Matthew> Debian version is potato. I would like to avoid having to
    Matthew> download woody if possible.

With XFree86 3.3 (Woody, 2.4.17 custom kernel) once I got USB working
in my kernel and everything, all I needed in XF86Config was

Section "XInput"
   Subsection "Mouse"
      DeviceName "USB Mouse"
      Protocol "IMPS/2"
      Port "/dev/input/mice"
      Alwayscore
   EndSubsection
EndSection

to get my USB wheel mouse (a logitech) working. I'm not sure about
what kind of USB support is available in the 2.x kernels on potato
though. See http://www.linux-usb.org for information on things you
might have to do.....

Cheers!
Shyamal