USB Mouse potato

X fails because I cannot configure the mouse. A USB wheel
mouse. Unfortunately my machine has four USB ports, no PS/2 or serial
ports, so using a different mouse type is out of the question.

Debian version is potato. I would like to avoid having to download woody
if possible.

Strangely, an probably of no relation to my USB problem, dmesg reports
that a PS/2 mouse port was found. STrange because there is no PS/2 port on
the machine.

Please help!

Matt
"Dans les champs de l'observation, le hasard ne favorise que les esprits
prepares." - L. Pasteur.

Mr. Matthew D Linden
B.Sc. Hons. (W.Aust) AAIMS
Medical Research Scientist
The Western Australian Centre for Pathology and Medical Research
The Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, Nedlands