Re: gatos drivers for ATI AllInWonder cards

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 05:09:23PM -0500, Bill Triplett wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 14:01, stan wrote:
> > Thanks to those of you on this list that have pointed me to the Gatos
> > drivers for use with my ATI AllInWonder Radeon card.
> >
> > I've got another question now.
> >
> > I've looked at the install instructions on the sites home page, and I
> > noticed that they recomnend aginst installing over the Debian installation
> > of XF864, and sugest compilng XF864 from scratch.
>
> I did this for a while on potato, and it was ok. It was a little
> annoying trying to keep the dependencies straight in apt, though.
>
> > Has anyone installed over the Debian install? Did it work? I have an up to
> > date woody machine, if it matters.
>
> I installed the gatos ati.2 drivers over the woody XFree86 and it works
> fine with my card. Use the tarball, unpack them and copy them over into
> the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers and
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/multimedia. The tarball could probably just be
> extracted into /usr and the new files will be placed where they need to
> be, but for some reason I'd rather be cautious and copy them myself.
>
> Here's my configs and such, in case they're helpful:
>
> http://dev.nethouse.com/xfree86-config.txt
> http://dev.nethouse.com/xfree86-log.txt
> http://dev.nethouse.com/dmesg.txt
> http://dev.nethouse.com/dot-xawtv.txt

Thanks for puting those up. They were the clue that got me going. I had
"input" (which was called "source" in my .xwarc) wrong for the ew card.

Examples are always great.

Now a philisophical question. Any ide if the gatos drivers are going to
get merged inot the mainstream XFree code? I'm just thinking thta someday
(perhaps soon) I'm going to do a dselect & it's going to upgrade my X server,
which will now break things :-(

Thanks for the help.

Oh, one final question. Any idea if the "ati" and "radeon" drivers are
diferent, or just aliases? I had radeon, but I cnaged it to ati to match
your workign example.

Thanks, again.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin