Re: gatos drivers for ATI AllInWonder cards

On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 14:01, stan wrote:
> Thanks to those of you on this list that have pointed me to the Gatos
> drivers for use with my ATI AllInWonder Radeon card.
>
> I've got another question now.
>
> I've looked at the install instructions on the sites home page, and I
> noticed that they recomnend aginst installing over the Debian installation
> of XF864, and sugest compilng XF864 from scratch.

I did this for a while on potato, and it was ok. It was a little
annoying trying to keep the dependencies straight in apt, though.

> Has anyone installed over the Debian install? Did it work? I have an up to
> date woody machine, if it matters.

I installed the gatos ati.2 drivers over the woody XFree86 and it works
fine with my card. Use the tarball, unpack them and copy them over into
the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers and
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/multimedia. The tarball could probably just be
extracted into /usr and the new files will be placed where they need to
be, but for some reason I'd rather be cautious and copy them myself.

Here's my configs and such, in case they're helpful:

http://dev.nethouse.com/xfree86-config.txt
http://dev.nethouse.com/xfree86-log.txt
http://dev.nethouse.com/dmesg.txt
http://dev.nethouse.com/dot-xawtv.txt