kernel-image-2.4.18-686 package && initrd

Installing the kernel-image-2.4.18-686 package I get:

<tag>
You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version 2.4.18-686)
This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
initrd.
As a reminder, in order to configure lilo, you need to
add an 'initrd=/initrd.img' in your /etc/lilo.conf
I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader. If you have already done
so, and you wish to get rid of this message, please put
  `do_initrd = Yes'
in /etc/kernel-img.conf.
Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]
</tag>

My original installation, which I have upgraded, is from a woody CD-ROM with
2.2.20 kernel. I am running now a 2.4.18 kernel compiled from source (make
xconfig dep bzImage modules modules_install + lilo). Note that I do not
use-compile initrd ramdisk support on it.  Why my compiled 2.4.18 kernel
works rightly and the downloaded ask me for all this issues?.

I am sure that I am missing something. Can the 2.4.18 kernel boot with and
without using initrd?. If so, why does debian use initrd?. Is it quicker?.

Regards,
Davi Leal