Re: kernel-image-2.4.18-686 package && initrd

Davi Leal wrote:
> My original installation, which I have upgraded, is from a woody CD-ROM
> with 2.2.20 kernel. I am running now a 2.4.18 kernel compiled from source
> (make xconfig dep bzImage modules modules_install + lilo). Note that I do
> not use-compile initrd ramdisk support on it.  Why my compiled 2.4.18
> kernel works rightly and the downloaded ask me for all this issues?.

The debian kernel images are completeley modular because they have to work on
such a wide range of hardware. Without initrd they won't boot.

The kernel you compiled yourself contains support for your hdd type, root fs,
etc compiled in, not as modules. You don't need initrd.

I don't understand why you would want to install a precompiled kernel image
when you already have the source and seem capable of using it ?

--
Simon Hepburn.