Re: booting from PCI IDE card rather than SCSI

There's been a few threads about the Promise ATA133
controller in the past week. You can boot of the disks
attached to the controller. Assuming you have nothing
on the ide disks, here are the basic steps:

1.  Attach the ide disk(s) to a controller your
current kernel supports, probably the ide controller
on the motherboard.

2.  Copy whatever parts of your system you want on the
ide drive to the drive. So, since it sounds like you
want to boot from the drive, probably at least a /boot
and root partition. [I was doing a fresh install, so I
don't know the details of this step.]

3.  Compile a kernel with support for the controller
and enable the option of booting off of the disks
attached to the controller (it's a new, separate
option.)

4.  After installing the kernel, add to LILO the
command "ide=reverse". The kernel help says
"ide-reverse" which is wrong.

5.  Adjust LILO and /etc/fstab to reflect where root
and /boot and other partitions will be located. If
your root partition is on ide1 (labeled on the card),
it will be /dev/hda, if it is on ide2, then it will be
/dev/hdc. This is assuming you are using the
"ide=reverse" option.

6.  Connect the ide drive to the controller and you
should be fine.

This basic approach should work.

Richard