Re: Debian newbie wants to know if this is a good place to ask questions?

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Gary Turner wrote:

> Absolutely!  This is the place.  One caveat, though; be sure to do your
> homework before asking, be specific in your question, and include the
> relevant info that the gurus need in order to help.  If you haven't
> RTFM'd, someone is likely to jump down your throat and rip your lungs
> out ;-}

Make sure your subject line is short and to the point (this really goes
for all emails and newsgroup posts).  If you need more than 5 words,
consider narrowing your focus.  People, especially those with massive
piles of email (I get around 1100/day, almost no spam thanks to 11 RBLs
and liberal use of spamcop.net and razor-report) tend to skip over
subjects that don't get to the point, roundfiling them unread,
regardless of content.  (Same goes for having bad quote form, bad word
wrap, or posts that are obviously written by a native English speaker
who hasn't quite mastered the language (AOLers and skript kiddies tend
to have this in common).

> Give it your best shot before asking the list.  Then, when someone else
> asks and you know the answer, jump in and help out.

Give it your best shot and if it succeeds, log it someplace, in case you
need to know how to do it again.  I get a spiralbound notebook and write
down any notes I take along the way and summarize what I did at the end
when I've solved it.  Keep back issues.  Kinda reminds me of my
officer's notebooks...

> You will see signatures on this list that you see on some of your
> software and manuals.  Expect the straight poop from this group.

Microsoft only claims they have better support.  But they also aren't
harnessing the power of people effectively.

--
Baloo