Re: booting from PCI IDE card rather than SCSI

On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 21:59, Matt Garman wrote:

> Okay---at this point I've rebooted my computer probably 50 times over
> the last three days.  I'm trying to install a new IDE hard drive and
> have it run off of an IDE PCI controller.  Everything that could go
> wrong has, short of data loss (so I'm fuming, not crying :)
>
> Anyway, sparing you my long story of frustration, here's my current
> problem: I've got my "old" system running off of my SCSI disks.  It
> works fine.  However, I just bought a Promise ATA/133 PCI IDE card and
> a new IDE hard drive.  I got my "new" system installed on the new
> drive.

[snip]

> The only other thing I could think of is using my rescue disk to do a
> "rescue root=/dev/hda2" but this Promise ATA/133 controller needs a
> patched kernel or a 2.4.19-pre3 (or newer) kernel to be supported.  I
> don't have such a rescue disk.  I tried the "mkboot" command from the
> "new" system; when I booted with *that* disk, it just froze when it

Three things:
1. Maybe you _can't_ boot off of the Promise controller, since you
   don't have the proper kernel.
2. what does lilo.conf say are the values of the boot and root
   variables?
3. In the kernel build process, there's an option to allow booting
   off of an external PCI card.  Maybe that option is not set in
   your kernel.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "(Women are) like compilers.  They take simple statements  |
|  and make them into big productions."                      |
|     Pitr Dubovitch                                         |