Re: booting from PCI IDE card rather than SCSI

Matt Garman wrote:

> The problem is, my system still boots from SCSI.  I have a Abit KT7
> motherboard.  It's bios options allow specifying of three boot
> devices.  I have Floppy, CDROM and IDE-0 (in that order).  SCSI (among
> others) is one of the boot options, but I *don't* have it selected
> (verified this many a time, trust me :).  Still, the system boots from
> SCSI!!!!  Arg, why?

I'm guessing that because your hdd is not connected to your mobo controller
your bios is doing:
try floppy first...oh dear
try ide-cdrom...oh dear
try ide 0...oh dear
ah well what the hell lets give scsi a go !

> I have verified that the new installation works: I powered down,
> unplugged the SCSI cable and power cord on my SCSI drives, then booted
> up.  The new system comes up as expected.
> I used fdisk to remove the bootable flag on my SCSI disk---that didn't
> do anything.

Have you tried swapping the pci slots your cards use. Try going into your
scsi bios and disabling the boot feature. Try changing the scsi id's on your
hdd's so that none use 0. Is your mobo bios up to date ? Have you got a
different scsi card you can try with ?

> The only other thing I could think of is using my rescue disk to do a
> "rescue root=/dev/hda2" but this Promise ATA/133 controller needs a
> patched kernel or a 2.4.19-pre3 (or newer) kernel to be supported.  I
> don't have such a rescue disk.  I tried the "mkboot" command from the
> "new" system; when I booted with *that* disk, it just froze when it
> said "Loading Linux".  Maybe it's a bad floppy.  My rescue floppy
> actually died on me in the middle of this (fortunately I have two).  I
> have the Debian install CDs, but I can't my system to boot from a SCSI
> CD-ROM (but it LOVES to boot from SCSI disk).  I already put my IDE
> CDROM back in the other computer...

I take it you enabled this in your scsi bios ? I have a similar problem with
my box, ide hdd, scsi periphs. In my case it won't boot from cdrom if the jaz
drive is empty :-) Mixing scsi and ide is such fun...

--
Simon Hepburn.