Re: Debian maintenance question: apt-get vs. dselect vs. dpkg-- help!

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:38:57 -0800
wells <wells@submute.net> wrote:

> What's the best way of installing things? Apt-get? Dselect? Compiling from
> source?
apt-get or dselect... or aptitude, or gnome-apt... or deity... it's a matter
of personal preference

> Moreover, what's the difference? I see apt-get, dselect, dpkg-- what do
> these do and how are they different?
apt-get is a tool to grab packages and resolve dependencies automagically,
dselect is a frontend that allows you browsing the list of packages, etc...
dpkg is the package manager itself

you may want to read the Apt HOWTO, which can be found on the Documentation
pages of the Debian's web pages... and also take a look at the Quick
Reference manual, which seems a good source of general information on Debian

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>
Debian: <http://www.debian.org> * <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>