uw-imapd won't start

I have a colleague who just did a clean install of woody and once again wanted to setup his imap server. He installed uw-imapd, but the daemon won't start.

There is the appropriate entry in /etc/inetd.conf (which starts the daemon through tcpd). One can start the daemon manually with /usr/sbin/imapd, but we can't figure out why the daemon doesn't start with the rest of the services in inetd.

He can send mail to and receive mail from the site, so we are at somewhat of a loss. I suppose I could try courier-imap, but I would like to resolve this issue. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Tom