Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

> You may think this is trivial, and that I'm some bleeding-heart
> tree-hugger, but the fact is that this is racism, and should not be
> taken so lightly. There is a lot of racism in the world and we need to
> see it for what it is and do what we can to put an end to it. Not
> everything that mentions skin color is racism, but it doesn't have to be
> as targeted and explicit as your example to qualify.

  Hear, hear! Well said. I would also second the part about your positions.
Rejecting racism doesn't make you a Political Correctness zealot (I'm the
definition of politically *in*correct in many ways), a "tree-hugger" or
anything else - it simply makes you someone with the common sense to reject
senseless trash.
  If there needs to be a "litmus" test to remove offensive content - I
suggest this - if the content is of no redeemable value, it should go. But
you say, I'm offended by vi! Well, vi has redeemable value to some - infact
some find it very productive. Then you say, well, I'm offended by BibleTime
and Sword! Well, it is very useful to many, and even those that disagree with
it's content my find it interesting. However, no one can name one useful
thing a racist joke does other than possibly insult, injure, or outrage.
Keeping it to protect "free speech" may be a point, but it doesn't give it
any redeemable value. Hmm...

  -Tim

Timothy R. Butler                    tbutler@uninetsolutions.com
Universal  Networks                       http://www.uninet.info