Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:05:41PM -0800, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Petro (petro@auctionwatch.com) [020313 18:34]:
> >     Any racism you perceive in either of those two statements is purely
> >     your own ignorance and knee-jerk political correctness.
> Well, after reading the bug report, it looks like the statement in
> question was included in irssi-scripts as a kickreason. Meaning, when
> you kicked someone out of a channel, it might randomly say to the kickee
> and everyone in the channel "I'm kicking you out of the channel because
> 'yo family's so black.'"
> If there's a word in the dictionary that defines that better than
> racist, please enlighten us all.

    Inane, Insipid, Childish and stupid are all much better fits than
    "racist". Tasteless is also pretty good.

    If the script had some way of knowing who was black and who wasn't,
    and actually was kicking the person for that reason, it would be
    racist. Since it can't, and doesn't (I presume) then it is not
    racist.

    There is a lot of racism left in the world, and it's a truely
    horrible thing, but that doesn't mean that everything that mentions
    skin color is racist, and by labelling such trivialities as racist,
    you lessen it's impact when used to describe much more evil and
    destructive packages.

--
Share and Enjoy.