Re: cdrw and cdrom: do ide and master/slave matter?

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:52:59 -0500
Wayne Topa <wtopa@dmcom.net> wrote:

> Cheryl Homiak(chomiak@chartermi.net) is reported to have said:

[apologies to Wayne for snipping his post; I didn't catch the original]

> > Also, the person installing this can get the best price for me on a
> > lite-on cdrw, though he could also get a creative. when I looked at
> > the cdrw-howto, lite-on wasn't listed, but I realize this doesn't
> > mean it isn't usable. Furthe searching brought up the lite-on as
> > useable with the cdrom.c driver. Is this a generic driver that is
> > loaded by the kernel and will it be loaded with the options i've
> > chosen? Has anybody had experience with the lite-on; don't have a
> > model number as yet so can't be more specific.
>
> Sorry, I don't know anything about the 'lite-on'.  I found that a
> PLEXTOR and an Acer, both worked fins and were not that expensive.
> I'm using them, mainly, for backups and performance was more important
> then price.

I have a Lite-On drive and it's been working nicely for me since I
bought it two months ago. It also doesn't have a model number ;-). But
it's rated at 16x write, 10x rewrite, 40x read. You need to buy special
10x CD-RW media to get the second number right. Otherwise it burns
faster than I can take a bath. It also comes with Burn-Proof (or
something similar) for managing buffer under-runs when writing CD-R/Ws.

What convinced me to buy the Lite-On was a review that mentioned the
company was a top OEM manufacturer for name brands like Plextor. I'm
unable to Google the review (and I may be terribly mistaken). But the
claims on their web site are similarly impressive, including their being
the top CDROM manufacturer in Taiwan! Now why would you lie about a
thing like that?

http://www.liteonit.com/index-english.htm

The only thing lacking from my Lite-On drive is good documentation and
feature-rich burning software. I remember getting only a poster and I
threw away the CD-ROM. A largely favourable review of the drive can be
found at: http://www.cdrinfo.com/hardware/liteon16101/index.shtml.

The site has brain-dead navigation. You might want to jump to the
summary at: http://www.cdrinfo.com/hardware/liteon16101/page7.shtml