Re: cdrw and cdrom: do ide and master/slave matter?

Cheryl Homiak(chomiak@chartermi.net) is reported to have said:
> I have a cdrom and plan to keep it but also add a cd burner. I had thought that
> i remembered being told that the cd burner had to be the master on an ide, but
> now can't find any documentation for that. Both the cdrom and cdrw are ide/atapi
> so I am using scsi emulation and have also compiled with scsi, scsi cdrom and
> generic scsi. the person installing wants to install the cdrom on one drive and
> the cdrw on the other as he feels this may make transfers when copying a bit
> faster.

>From what I have read from the copious writings of the author of
CDrecord:
<quote>
General hints:
NOTE: IDE/ATAPI don't have disconnect!  You cannot expect the needed
performance for CD Writing if you connect source and destination drive
to the same IDE cable.
</quote>

> I also have two hard disks, though one of them used to be DOS and, now
> that i have made a dos partition on my main drive, is only being used to store
> some backups at present. This means that I would probably put the cdrom on hdb
> and the cdrw on hdc. Is there any reason not to do this?

That is how I have mine set up and have not had any problems.  ;_)

> Also, the person installing this can get the best price for me on a lite-on
> cdrw, though he could also get a creative. when I looked at the cdrw-howto,
> lite-on wasn't listed, but I realize this doesn't mean it isn't usable.
> Furthe searching brought up the lite-on as useable with the cdrom.c driver.
> Is this a generic driver that is loaded by the kernel and will it be loaded
> with the options i've chosen?
> Has anybody had experience with the lite-on; don't have a model number as
> yet so can't be more specific.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the 'lite-on'.  I found that a
PLEXTOR and an Acer, both worked fins and were not that expensive.
I'm using them, mainly, for backups and performance was more important
then price.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

--
There were computers in Biblical times. Eve had an Apple.