Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:38:59PM -0600, DvB wrote:
> "Kurt Lieber" <debian@kirpatrick.com> writes:
>
> > Lazarus Long said:
> > > Again,  there is no excuse for racism in Debian.  Other packages have
> > > elided the inappropriate material in the past, as they should.
> >
> > No, they shouldn't.  Debian is not about censorship.  I personally find the
> > quoted joke offensive, but I'm not about to say he doesn't have a right to
> > include it if he so chooses to.
> >

> I'll probably regret getting involved in this discussion but,
> personally and apropriateness of offensive material in Debian aside, I
> think the "joke" (as I saw it, out of context, in the quoted text of
> another message) is only offensive if you think that there's something
> wrong with posessing that particular skin pigmentation. Being compared
> to the luxurious item mentioned, to my knowledge, advocates no common
> stereotypes and, if anything, could be taken as a compliment.

comparing a human being to an automobile is not compliment, even if we're
talking saabs.

> If I were to tell a person with red hair: "Wow, your hair is so red that
> it looks like it's on fire" that person would probably only take offense
> if having red hair were considered undesirable. The same goes for
> comments on stature (height), eye color, country of origin, the
> political party your mother's affiliated with... and the list goes on
> and on.

...apples and oranges.  making fun of someone's race is at a
completely different level.  sure, discrimination exists with
practically everything, but that doesn't (and shouldn't) innoculate
racism from criticism and censure.