Substitute for animated GIF?

Greetings.

I have a user who would like to use the ppmtogif feature in the netpbm
package.  Unfortunately it appears that most GIF functionality has been
taken out of the netpbm package as included in Debian (yes, I can
understand why).  I've tried compiling our own netpbm with GIF support
included but so far I'm not having much luck getting the package to
build and my time to spend on this is limited.

Is there an alternative that I can offer the user?  He ultimately wants
to make animated GIF's or some comparable format that will be compatible
with 4.x-vintage browsers.  My network graphics experience is pretty
shallow, so I don't really know what there is besides GIF's that will do
what he wants.

Thanks for any ideas.

-j
--
## Michael Jinks, IB ## JFI/MRSEC Computing ## University of Chicago ##
      Reader!  Think not that