Re: configuring ext3 (was Re: new twist on shutting down and restricting ssh users)

* Osamu Aoki (debian@aokiconsulting.com) [020313 21:34]:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 09:13:08AM -0800, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > * dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) [020306 19:12]:
> > > I've got 2.4.17 on all my systems.  (2.4.18 is out now, but not
> > > packaged last I checked)  Are there any tricks or gotchas to setting
> > > it up?  Here's what I know (I did include support in the kernel) :
> > >     o   /etc/fstab -- s/ext2/ext3/
> >
> > try this instead: s/ext2/ext3,ext2/
> >
> > This means that the kernel will attempt to mount it as ext3, and if that
> > doesn't work it'll try ext2. That means that if you later try to boot
> > with a non-ext3-aware kernel you won't have to change anything: it'll
> > still boot just fine, only without journaling.
> >
> I like this but there is one reminder on this.  You need to create
> fsck.ext3,ext2 symlink to have clean boot on ext3 system.

What happens if this link is not present? It seems to work fine without
it on my 2.4.18 system. Maybe it was fixed? All of my partitions are
ext3, and even after the power went out the system came back up cleanly,
recovering the journals and mounting the filesystems without trouble. I
should watch it more cleanly; maybe it'll try to run it and fail only
after a partition reaches its max mount-count. Do you have an example of
how it fails if this link is nonexistent?

> I have some article on this in "Debian reference" below.

Nice work; I hadn't checked out your site until now.

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/