Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 03:42:16PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I think it is unreasonable. That's like saying that the library has a
> > right to burn books that it finds filthy or innappropriate. If you
> > modify source code simply to remove the authors remarks, your are
> > censoring, and are no better than a book-burner.
>
> Um, it's free software.  When I package something, I get to warp it in
> whatever way I think is most suitable for Debian, and both my
> political judgment and my technical judgment are relevant there.
>
> You seem to be saying that we should treat *everything* as if it were
> an Invariant Section under the GFDL!?

No, I'm saying that using your values as a measuring stick against
whatever the author decided, is not proper.

Technical bugs are rather black and white. Either it is broken, or not.
You use your better judgement based on facts in the gray areas.

Changing some working simply because you are offended by it is just
plain wrong. You are making a decision based solely on your own personal
criteria, rather than that of sound technical advice.

IOW, you are comparing apples and oranges.

/       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
`          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '