Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 03:25:45PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Don't start a trend that we cannot stick to. Unless you really feel like
> > perusing the sources of everything (grep -ir fuck in the kernel source),
> > you should drop this now. Yes it sucks. Yes, a lot of people disagree
> > with such remarks, but freedom comes in many forms (including allowing
> > people to speak such nasty remarks).
>
> I think it's reasonable for the Debian maintainer of the package to
> remove the comments from his version; it's really up to him (or a
> General Resolution or other override) to make that decision.

I think it is unreasonable. That's like saying that the library has a
right to burn books that it finds filthy or innappropriate. If you
modify source code simply to remove the authors remarks, your are
censoring, and are no better than a book-burner.

Ben

/       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
`          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '