Re: two ethernet cards without routing

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 jsalord@publicom1010.com wrote:

> Hi folk's:
>
> I've installed two ethernet cards to my debian server and they work fine.
> I want to give some services to one IP and other services to the other, so:
> How can I deactivate the routing option betwen cards?
>
> There have to be some kind of routing now because I can connect to my apache
> typing the two IPs even I've just one cable connected to eth0.

Hi,

There are some machines which, when fitted with two ethernet cards, give
you access to both interfaces when only one cable is connected, but work
correctly (each interface to the appropriate network) when both cables are
connected.  I had exactly this behaviour with an Intel server based on a
Nightshade motherboard.  I was completely nonplussed until someone on this
list told me about it.  If this is your problem, it should disappear when
your cables are connected to both networks.

In the meantime, check if IP forwarding is turned on in the kernel:

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

1 is on, 0 is off.  If it's 1, turn it off by:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Check if it's turned on by sysctl at system startup.  Read
/etc/sysctl.conf and look for a line like:

net/ipv4/ip_forward=1

If there is one, comment it out.

Best regards,

|   George Karaolides                      Linustech Advanced Solutions,  |
|   tel:   +357 22 55 61 29              86 Ifigenias Street, 3rd Floor,  |
|   web:   www.linustech.com.cy              Strovolos, Nicosia CY 2003,  |
|   email: george.karaolides@linustech.com.cy       Republic  of Cyprus.  |