cdrw and cdrom: do ide and master/slave matter?

I have a cdrom and plan to keep it but also add a cd burner. I had thought that
i remembered being told that the cd burner had to be the master on an ide, but
now can't find any documentation for that. Both the cdrom and cdrw are ide/atapi
so I am using scsi emulation and have also compiled with scsi, scsi cdrom and
generic scsi. the person installing wants to install the cdrom on one drive and
the cdrw on the other as he feels this may make transfers when copying a bit
faster. I also have two hard disks, though one of them used to be DOS and, now
that i have made a dos partition on my main drive, is only being used to store
some backups at present. This means that I would probably put the cdrom on hdb
and the cdrw on hdc. Is there any reason not to do this?
Also, the person installing this can get the best price for me on a lite-on
cdrw, though he could also get a creative. when I looked at the cdrw-howto,
lite-on wasn't listed, but I realize this doesn't mean it isn't usable.
Furthe searching brought up the lite-on as useable with the cdrom.c driver.
Is this a generic driver that is loaded by the kernel and will it be loaded
with the options i've chosen?
Has anybody had experience with the lite-on; don't have a model number as
yet so can't be more specific.
TIA.