Re: Strange messages on all terminals

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 12:31:48PM -0500, Scott Henson wrote:

> I am having a problem with all my virtual terminals(ctr-alt-F<1-6>)  For
> some reason a constant stream of information is sent to all of them.  It
> seems to be something to do with my internet connection, because its
> specifying MAC addresses and a couple of other things which makes me
> think its displaying all incomming packets to the terminals.  Now this
> is not affecting X or any of the X-terms, but its sure a bother while
> working in a virtual terminal.  I am running woody and a 2.4.19 ac
> pre-patch.  Anyone have an idea why this is happening.  Its been going
> on for a while now and I tried re-compiling the kernel taking out all
> verbose debug messages having to do with the net connection.  I am also
> running the new isc dhcp client 3.0, but this was happening before with
> the old 2.2 version.  Im not sure what else might be causing this.  This
> is especially embaracing because Im trying to get a bunch of my friends
> to switch from windows, and having all that trash there and not knowing
> what is causeing it is not a major selling point.  Anyone have an idea?
> Thanks.

You could try looking at man klogd and the -c switch.  If this looks
like giving you a possible solution to your problem you will need to
alter /etc/init.d/klogd.  The line you want probably says

KLOGD=""

at present.  Altering it to

KLOGD="-c 6"

may be what you want.

The archived bug reports for klogd should provide you with an
explanation to give to your friends and relieve your embarrassment.

Brian.