Re: kernel-2.4.17

High,

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Gerard Robin wrote:

> hello,
> I have a problem with the kernel 2.4.17:
> My machine: HDD1 in hda
>             HDD2 in hdb
>
> The machine boots with lilo on hda.
> I boot with a disket 1.44 Mb for hdb.
>
> After the compile, my machine booted correctly with the
> kernel 2.4.17 on the disket 1.44 Mb, but I forgot to
> include a module in the kernel and I recompiled the
> kernel 2.4.17 and now when I boot the machine with the
> boot disket I get :
>
> NET4:unix domain socket 1.0/SMP for LINUX NET4.0.
> request_module[ide-disk]:Rot fs not mounted
> hdb:driver not present
> VFS:Cannot open root device "343" or 03:43
> Please apend a correct "root=" boot option
> Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:43

Ok, I do not really see how your system is configured. On which harddisk
is Linux installed? Why do you use a floppy to boot when you have LILO
installed too?

The problem is that the ide driver is not loaded (that's what the kernel
says). You have to recompile the kernel and test it first.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan